Why Movement Is More Important Than Exercise
It seems we’ve gotten a little turned around. If I were to have a deliciously healthy breakfast of chicken sausage and onions over a bed of quinoa and then have fast food and soda for lunch and dinner, would you look back on my day and conclude that it was a nutritional day for me? Of course not, that would be absurd! Yet droves of people are dragging themselves to the gym to sweat it out for an hour, and then slumping back into their cars to drive to work, or collapsing over computer stations and laptops, or drooping over children and messes and toys all day only to settle into the couch at night, reflecting on their day and patting themselves on the back for the hour sweat session.
Your body doesn’t work this way. It is responding to the forces you place on it from the minute you wake up until the minute you go to sleep, just like analyzing your nutritional goals requires a view of the entire day. If you were to exercise for 60 minutes every single day, that is essentially 0.04% of your day. What is happening the other 99.96% of the time?
I’m not discounting daily exercise, and I strive to exercise for 60 minutes each day myself. But I can’t view that 60 minutes as a checkmark of completion on my daily movement. It’s 60 minutes of exercises AND now how else can I move my body better throughout the day? Here’s a few ways to keep movement a top priority.
- Be DYNAMIC with your work station
Most of my work requires a computer station. I purchased an over the bed rolling tray for less than $40 to act as a mobile work station. I can raise it up when I want to stand or lower it down when I’m ready to sit. I can also roll it in front of a window so I can give me ocular muscles a break by looking as far as they eye can see every few minutes!
- Choose a moving family night
While movie nights are a favorite for the kids and I, I try to balance out those sedentary evenings with other things like playing ping pong, going bowling, playing laser tag, or even a simple game of hide and go seek.
- Skip the close spot
We all love to find that killer front row parking spot at the store. But parking in the back not only lessens the stress of trying to squeeze into the popular up-close spots, but it affords you the opportunity to get just a few more steps in.
- Take the stairs
I have an unrealistic fear of being stuck in an elevator. It’s never happened but I also have a fear of enclosed spaces so I usually try to find the stair well and burn a few extra calories. It’s a fun game to try to beat the person that took the elevator plus I have never heard of anyone getting stuck in a stairwell.
- Try to cook or bake with less gadgets
Our ancestors didn’t rely on a Kitchen Aid mixer when baking cookies and there are some interesting studies recently about how we are losing our fine motor control by out-sourcing the work of our fingers and wrists to machines. When possible, beat an egg with fork, stir that hearty mixture with a wooden spoon, chop and dice and mince your ingredients using just a cutting board and knife or mortar and pestle.
This doesn’t mean you can’t still collapse into the couch at the end of a long day to enjoy your favorite show. But this is your “brownie”. That means all the other movements that led up to it were fairly nutritious in nature. Set your intention to move your body better and more each day!
I am a mother of three who is passionate about women’s health. I know what it is like to juggle motherhood, run a household, and manage a career while also striving to remain fit and well.
For the past ten years, I have worked with women as a Physical Therapist, Prenatal & Postnatal Pilates Specialist, and Diastasis Recti Expert. It is my passion and privilege to be entrusted with your health and well-being.
I’ve traveled across the United States and to other countries to learn from the best of the best in women’s health. And it’s now my goal to bring that expertise to women in all walks of life through live classes, online courses, and specialized live events.