I’m in love with this article by Dr. Aviva Romm called Perfectionism, Is it Pushing You Into Adrenal Overdrive? She explains some symptoms that suggest you may be struggling with Perfectionism and the first one is: You’re frequently or chronically stressed out or overwhelmed because of a lengthy to-do list. Me? CHECK! My current to-do list has 17 items (I just checked) and as I was counting them my blood pressure began to elevate just thinking about how many items were on there (and how many had been on there for more than a week) and how I could check them off with the little bit of daylight I have left. Sigh. Do you know what prescription that Aviva Romm writes for women like me……..Permission to Pause. If filling that prescription seems impossible, she recommends asking yourself these 5 questions:
- If I took some time for myself, what’s the best thing that can happen?
- The worst?
- How much time do I need realistically, and how often, to feel recharged?
- How am I going to create this time?
- And what would I like to do with the time?
Let Dr. Aviva help you with #2. One of the worst things that can happen if you don’t fill your prescription for Permission to Pause is something called Survival Overdrive Syndrome (no coincidence the initials here are SOS!) Being in the “fight or flight” mode too often can lead to imbalances in the stress hormone, cortisol, and can ultimately lead to anxiety, fatigue, burnout, digestive problems, and even autoimmune disease. Ladies, ladies, LADIES!!! What are we doing to ourselves? Are you “feeding Hungry Ghosts” from your past that aren’t actually chasing you anymore?! Here are 7 steps she suggests to help you move from Perfectionism to Peace:
- Listen in to your Inner Wise Woman
- Give Yourself Permission to Pause
- Quiet Your Inner Critic (and replace Automatic Negative Thoughts with imagined kind words from your best friend)
- Quit Comparing
- Stop “Should-ing” on Yourself
- Release the Idea that You’re a Continual Self Improvement Project
- Count Your Wins
Read the full article here: https://avivaromm.com/perfectionism-adrenal-overdrive/
If you’d like to learn more about re-setting your cortisol (or any other of the 7 metabolic hormones), meditation, choosing exercise to meet the needs of your body and so much more, consider getting added to the waiting list for our next session of Powering Through Perimenopause starting this Fall (best suited form women 35 years old and beyond)! Sign up here: http://eepurl.com/cAKa7j